Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fitness and Mental Health

Years ago, twenty to be exact, when I first began teaching fitness classes, I was still in the mindset that working out was to help you stay slim, fit into your skinny jeans, and eat a little more liberally. With time and education, a passion for reading and learning, and age and experience under my belt, I work out with such a greater purpose in mind. Working out isn't just about looking good, it's about feeling good inside and out. Research is supporting that working out and staying physically fit may also decrease our risk of dementia related diseases such as Alzheimer's. Working out connects us socially, engages us mentally, and challenges us physically. I can't imagine my life without it, and though I won't deny that I love being able to eat a little more liberally, my priorities have shifted... Rather than being worried about whether or not I fit into my skinny jeans, I am more interested in making sure I don't wake up one day and forget where I put them.
Until next time...
Angie

1 comment:

  1. Hey Angie. I wanted to e-mail you but can't seem to get to your website. So I'm doing it this way. Missed you on Monday at LA Fitness. It was a good class with Katie but you are just so much more fun. I enjoyed your first 2 posts on the blog too. Thanks for your encouraging words! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete